We are thrilled to announce that Barbara Karnes, RN, has graciously agreed to contribute a monthly guest blog just for In the Know readers! Barbara is an internationally recognized author, speaker, thought leader, and expert on end-of-life care and the dynamics of dying.
Barbara’s experience as a hospice care provider and administrator led to the 1985 publication of Gone from My Sight: The Dying Experience. Affectionately referred to in the industry as the “little blue hospice book,” Gone from My Sight has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, is published in 12 languages, and remains the leading resource on the market today, educating families and caregivers on the signs of approaching death.
In 2015, Barbara’s film New Rules for End of Life Care was featured in film festivals worldwide and was the recipient of 10 prestigious film awards. Here’s a preview of the award-winning film:
In the coming months, Barbara will share her unique outlook on end-of-life care. Her wisdom and calming nature are treasured gifts for the caregiving community as we navigate this unprecedented pandemic and change the way we all think about dying.
Here are a few topics Barbara will discuss in blogs in the coming months:
- When should we talk about end-of-life issues?
- Eat, Sleep, Withdraw
- Pain Management at the End of Life
Listen to the Podcast!
Last week, Barbara was interviewed by Miriam Allred on the Home Care Pulse podcast, Vision. Click HERE and listen to Barbara speak passionately on what caregivers need to know about death and dying.
Barbara loves answering your questions!
Do you have a question about end-of-life care or the dying process for Barbara? Send Barbara your question today!
More about Barbara
Barbara was recognized in 2018 as a Hospice Innovator by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and was named the 2015 International Humanitarian Woman of the Year by the World Humanitarian Awards.
Barbara’s other award-winning publications and films include:
- The Eleventh Hour: A Caring Guideline to the Hours to Minutes Before Death
- A Time to Live: Living with a Life-Threatening Illness
- My Friend, I Care: The Grief Experience,
- You Need Care Too: Self Care for the Professional Caregiver
- How Do I Know You? Dementia at End of Life
- A Place in My Heart: When Our Pets Die
- Pain at End of Life: What You Need to Know About End-of-Life Pain and Comfort Management
- The Final Act of Living: Reflections of a Long-Time Hospice Nurse
- Care for the Caregiver, DVD
- This is How People Die, DVD
To learn more about Barbara and all the incredible resources she has created, visit www.bkbooks.com.